The SPLASH 2019 Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop encourages graduate students (PhD and MSc) and senior undergraduate students to pursue research in programming languages. This workshop will provide mentoring sessions on how to prepare for and thrive in graduate school and in a research career, focusing both on cutting-edge research topics and practical advice, such as a panel of Ph.D. students discussing topics like “What I wish I had known before attending graduate school.” The workshop brings together leading researchers and junior students in an inclusive environment in order to help welcome newcomers to our field of programming languages research. The workshop will show students the many paths that they might take to enter and contribute to our research community.
The workshop program will focus on important skills for beginning researchers and will offer mentoring opportunities with senior researchers attending the conference.
- How to network effectively at a conference? How to find your cohort? How to find a mentor and what to look for?
- What communication skills are essential for a research career? To give a good presentation? A good poster session talk? To write an outstanding paper?
- How do people pick their research area of interest or your advisor/mentor?
- What are the new, emerging areas in PL/SE?
- What are the differences between a research career in industry and in academia?
- What are the important work/life issues researchers deal with?
- How did PL/SE researchers successfully navigate their training experiences?
We will provide travel grants that will fully support student attendance to PLMW. To apply, please use the link in the sidebar - https://forms.gle/rzcKcvp97X73XBTcA .
Mentorship Workshop Application
All students who are interested in attending the workshop must apply to do so — and will also be eligible to receive travel support to attend the workshop. We will support students’ travel to the workshop and to SPLASH (from Tuesday-Friday) including airfare, hotel, and conference registration.